Thursday 7 May 2015

'Three of a Kind' for Stamps and Stencils.

Well, what a fabulous amount of entries we had for our first challenge over at Stamps and Stencils! We were blown away.....thank you. For our next challenge it's my turn to host and I've chosen the theme 'Three of a Kind'. We want to see 3 of the same sort of focal element on a project or maybe 3 ATC's or a Triptych? Think of 3's and let your imagination run wild! For all the details of the challenge and absolutely gorgeous inspiration from the design team, please hop across here.


I decided to transform an 8x8 box canvas that I'd had for so long it was starting to turn yellow! I've created a niched (is that a word?) canvas involving lots of texture, inks and paints.
I traced around 3 lids which included a grunge paste lid and a plastic milk bottle top. Then I cut about a cm inside the circle and stretched the canvas so the lids could slide in place. Some Mod Roc plaster of paris roll was applied to the lids and then texture was applied to the canvas using crackle paste.


Once dry white texture paste was applied through a stencil. I'm quite into using glazes at the moment having been inspired by Donna Downey so I mixed some mid grey paint and glazing liquid and applied over the surface. After a couple of minutes I wiped it away using a baby wipe. Love the grey stone effect it left.


I painted some pearlescent card with fresco paints and metallic glaze. Once dry I stamped over it in archival ink. The flowers were cut with a crealie die.


I dripped magenta and blue inks and translucent paints down the canvas and sprayed with water. The rectangles were then brushed with white paint and highlighted with pewter treasure gold. I've added some beads to run out of the recesses.


Fab crackle from Wendy Vecchi's paste.....and just loved the way the inks blended and seeped in.






Not forgetting to decorate the sides as well.


Hope you enjoyed the post and might be inspired to join in. Thanks as always for stopping by and for all the comments you leave, I truly appreciate every one...and Yes I'm still catching up with my blog visiting... but I'm getting there. Ruth x

26 comments:

  1. Fabulous canvas Ruth, you are making me want to buy more products.... Thanks for being the perfect host

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your niches Ruth, great textures and the fact that you have kept it simple just highlights the colors and the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous texturalness !!! Love the way the colours seep in around the different textures and the way you have made your niches , bet you had a great time creating this the mere mention of mod roc makes my heart flutter I love that stuff, I've used it a lot on school projects but never thought to use it on my crafting ...... Hey let's make it the next big thing ! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fabulous challenge Ruth and your DT project is stunning. I love the wonderful textures you have created and the depth of the colours. Absolutely fabulous

    TFS and crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness Ruth, this is a fabulous piece of art!!! You are so creative and inspirational, I just want to have a go at something like this now..... Such a clever way to create niches and then to fill them with gorgeous flowers and beads.... I need to Pin this and keep coming back for another look. Simply stunning!! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow Ruth, this is just stunning!! Love how you embedded the lids into the canvas, so, so clever and such a cool effect! The crackle, textures and colours all round look amazing too, a new favourite I think.....
    Oh and a great theme too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous canvas with all the texture and colours on it....lovely!
    Greetings, Alie

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW WOW WOW Ruth, i love your 3 of a kind canvas it is so full of texture and colour i really want to reach in and touch each of the apertures and that texture. So very inspirational and did i mention i really LOVE your ArT :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Ruth!! Your are so creative, the lid idea to make the holes is just genius! Love all the crackle and your wonderful colours, wow!! Amazing work of art! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Ruth ! Love the crackle and ooh I see a little DD glazing, fabulous ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant Ruth and amazing textures.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a fabulous canvas Ruth, love your three niches and awesome textures. I realy enjoyed your challenge theme.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth, what a stunning canvas! i love the dimension you created here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is THE most A-M-A-Z-I-N-G canvas I have ever seen! The niches are a brilliant idea and along with the texture, the colour, the sheen and the gorgeous crackle you have created a brilliant work of art! A great choice of theme too! Will you be at Happy Stampers? Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, yes I'll be there, so hope to bump into some bloggy friends...probably around the PA stand! Ruth x

      Delete
  15. So much amazing texture!! Love the close up shots. The colours are so uplifting too :) Always love a good visit to your blog Ruth, seeing your work makes my had itchy for paint lol
    Hugs
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing Ruth, a fantastic background have you created with sencils and paste, .
    And your idea of making the 3 "holes" is wonderfully done.
    Also the inks you used to colour, looks gorgeous in the crackle, which I love.
    What a great project.
    Dorthe, xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just looks so stunning Ruth and very creative. Loving the texture look and such beautiful colours
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. First let me says this is the most amazing and beautiful canvas I've seen in a very long time! So inspiring, too, Ruth, with that clever idea of placing those lids in your canvas to make little niches for the sweet flowers. And the crackles and stenciled background is simply supercalafragalistic! My absolute new favorite, and pinned for future reference and drooling over.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, I just saw you comment on my blog, and I wanted to say thank you for making my day! You left the most awesome compliment, and I'm so honored, because YOU are such a creative soul!

      Delete
  19. Totally gorgeous! I love the niches you made, what a brilliant and clever idea, and the textures are just beautiful. I do love your subtle colour scheme - the whole piece is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous canvas Ruth. You always seem to come up with something different, love it. Thanks for the visit to mine too.
    Bet you could think of all sorts of things to do with the Powertex.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful canvas Ruth! Stunning texture and I love the little beads dribbling down from the niches.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my word... I'm head over heels in love with this, Ruth... from the lid niches to the amazing crackle to the stunning colours (and I'm not usually much of a one for pink and purple, but this is on another level!). Utterly beautiful, completely inspiring.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous project, love all the texture! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've just discovered you on Pinterest, Ruth. Your work is truly amazing. This is an astonishing piece of work! I absolutely love love love it.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.