Friday 5 September 2014

Mr. Brightside...

The Sunday Stamper challenge this week is to use bright colours. So much for saying I was in a vintage colour palette mood at present....Hels has tempted me out!


So I am sharing a couple more journal pages that I've just completed from backgrounds I started at a Lin Brown workshop. We were having fun using gelatos, though you could use portfolio oil pastels. Having covered the whole page and blended them, take a stencil and using a damp (not wet) baby wipe gently wipe to reveal the surface beneath.


At the time I was just experimenting and trying different colours and wasn't thinking about how this would make a 2 page spread! Anyway that was the challenge, I had used a little orange and yellow on the green page but that was all...so how to tie them together? I loved the white reveal but decided if it was a background I needed to soften it. I got my colouring pencils out and spent some time just shading the leaves around the edges and using colours from one page on the other. I'd started colouring in on the photo above but here is a close up. 



What to use as a focal point without detracting from the background to much? I've used crunchy wax paper and stamped flowers and leaves from Lin Brown stamp sets. Firstly stamping in snowflake fresco and then over stamping in various colours of fresco paint. I scrumpled the wax paper up and then pulled them out again, applying treasure gold to the ridges.


The saying is stamped in black, clear embossed and watercoloured with distress markers.


To finish white highlights and black lines to frame the pages. It's growing on me...it's definitely bright and has stamping on it so it qualifies anyway! Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting.

11 comments:

  1. Wow Ruth, just WOW! I don't know where to start! This is gorgeous, the colours, the leaves, the backgrounds, the flowers...I have to just give you a blanket WOW!! What a talented lady you are! big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous journal pages Ruth. Adore your textured flowers.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that technique with the Gelatos when the #PATwits had the weekend with Lin a couple of weeks ago. You've taken it a fab step further with your pencils and created a wonderful background. The two pages side by side look great!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous,love the colours fab details.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you may have tempted me to open up my Gelatos and use them Ruth, that wipe off bleaching technique looks amazing on your beautiful pages. Thank you so much for your kind words too! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. RUTH.... this is wonderful... I love the flowers and the leaves in the background... great journal page... wow... love the colors too... I too love my Gelatos... and do use them in journaling when I remember... (like you Anne) but never seem to grab them as much as I do my distress stuff... will have to remember... maybe.. thanks so much for all the love you leave on my blog... this piece is really sticking in my mind... love those flowers... You know me and my flowers... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Ruth, I love your pages...thank you for sharing and inspiration...it seems that i will add Gelatos on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the page Ruth, must get the gelatos out.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the bold colours and those bold flowers. Great journalling Ruth. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cor blimey Ruth, not just one delish page but two... I LOVE these... MUCHLY! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.