Tuesday 30 September 2014

Journal Page with Portfolio oil pastels

Hi, thanks for all the good wishes with our new venture...quite excited!.....anyway I've been playing with my Portfolio Oil Pastels again and this is the journal page I've created with them.


It's a variation of the bleaching technique from Lin Brown. I started by laying down some random blocks of colour over the whole page and then blended them with my finger. I used JOFY stencil PS009 and a just damp babywipe to wipe away and bleach out the colour.


I then used the Lin Brown stencil PS001 stencil for the dots and the stalks from the Lin Brown PS004 stencil.


I've used one of the white pages from the Finnabair Vintage Vanity Journal as a base. At this stage I added some white sketched lines and black dots and lines with Posca pens. I also applied some shading around the petals and stalks with a pencil.


I just felt there wasn't enough contrast, so I used Distress markers in a variety of colours to add more depth and used a damp paintbrush to blend them.


I also used some treasure gold to highlight the centres of the flowers.


I'm quite taken with these pastels which aren't very expensive to have a play with...sorry ..explore your creativity with!


Not entering in any challenges, just thought I'd share. Thanks as always for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely Ruth! Going to bookmark to review the detail later.... Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks stunning Ruth! And BIG congrats on your new DT! I really look forward to see what you girls will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, this is just stunning! I loved seeing all the different stages of the page as you made it! Just spectacular! big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, love the white, really makes that flowers pop xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth, your artwork is beautiful! I love to play with oil pastels too. In fact you will see something made with them on Oct 8th! :) I love the flowers and the colours you chose are wonderful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your page is beautiful Ruth, I love the soft colours on the flowers and the dots and doodling really make them pop! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never tried this technique. It looks very effective and beautiful.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Ruth! This is fabulous! So glad you showed it, those colours are so beautiful and love your doodling! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful page, Ruth! I love the combination of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Portfolio Pastels are one of my favourite mediums to play with, they are easy to blend and achieve bright luscious results.

    Will have a go with the bleaching technique, looks fun to do. Thank you for the inspiration and huge congrats on your new DT position over at TATPE:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!!!! It's been awhile since I had mine out... I guess it's time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So dramatic and effective! Must give this a go sometime. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this Ruth... this is the kind of art journalling I'm trying to aspire to. Signing up to follow, you make so many amazing pieces x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.