Monday 11 August 2014

Journal...take 2

Hello, I thought I'd share a couple of journal pages with you, well there are 4 here really.....4..really? Well I 'overdid' the first 2, but as there are no mistakes in art, I adapted and part of the first 2 are on the second  2 page spread below. Not sure whether that's the creative process...or I am just stubborn and want to make things work!
I am entering this in Country View Crafts August Wordplay challenge which is about the written word and I've included a rather lovely quote from a Lin Brown stamp set. I am also entering this in Our Creative Corners Summertime challenge as I'm thinking of red sky sunsets, flowers in full bloom and seed heads starting to develop in late summer..... though the way the weather has been this weekend we may have missed that part!





You may be aware that I tend to do one page spreads, because 2 large pages are still a bit scary to me; but this is my little finnabair journal and I shared a 2 page spread a few weeks ago that I had made at a fab Lin Brown workshop. Whilst we were there we printed onto fabric using a gelli plate.


I stuck a fabric piece straight in to my book on the left and on the right is the second print which is on photocopy paper. I hadn't been able to decide how I could move forward on this without obliterating the background, which I loved. Anyway I decided to start and I used translucent embossing paste, glass bead gel, several stencils, stamps, gilding wax, glimmer mists, glazes, gesso, the kitchen sink...


Yes unfortunately as you can see I sadly 'nuked' it, no white or even light space at all.....I decided to remove the pages and then thought could I use part of them? I'd already wiped my brush on another 2 pages so decided that was the starting point.


I applied some gesso with an old credit card, then peach glimmer mist and blue colourwash spray through stencils. I then randomly stamped in hydrangea archival with a CI stamp. A little more stenciling with chestnut brown silk glaze and sprays, then some white paint circles with a bottle top. I was able to peel the fabric from the paper and trim it by tearing. I also cut around the onion skin stencilled texture paste areas to reuse them; I thought they looked like seed heads especially as they were gilded. Here are some close ups.


Glass bead gel, gilding wax and seed heads.




Stencilled flower heads in translucent embossing paste, glass bead gel with primary element pigments and faux stitching.


Below is my favourite part because the fabric still has some of the original pattern showing. I'm happy with the finished result as the more I look, the more I see and the more I like it.


I still have this piece of fabric which has only been colour sprayed....will save that for another time.


 Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed a rather photo heavy post. 

10 comments:

  1. Love your journal pages Ruth,the wonderful texture and colours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Ruth, love the texture and the colour.
    Have a great week, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning Ruth,WOW. Love all the texture here,beautifully created,thanks for sharing :)

    By the way,not sure if you have ordered that Darcy stamp set yet but That's Crafty have 1 left,I think it's sold out in most places

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just looking fabulous Ruth. So much to see and such wonderful texture- love them
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pages, Ruth! Love how you've pieced the original pages onto the second ones. Love all the texture and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great to experiment and I really love your end result, great texture, beautiful colours and that quote is brilliant. I really love those seed heads too. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just hopped over from Ingrid's blog...fabulous pages Ruth.... loving your creative style...off to have a better look at your lovely blog now! :) Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Ruth, so glad I finally have some time to catch up with your work - you're on a wonderful creative roll... one glorious project after another. These pages are amazing.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops - should also have said thanks so much for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner and at Country View Challenges.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colours, amazing texture and something new to catch the eye each time I look. I love your journal pages Ruth - they are stunning!
    Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner for this challenge.
    Julia x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.